Monday, January 26, 2009

Session 3: What can you do without getting bored?

Today DC talked about a lot of stuff. While I browse through my notes, some of the stuff was good to read. One point that hit me was that the world starts from negativity. We always look for what we lack and not for what we have with us.

I had the same feeling last term. In the course "Cross Cultural Management", Prof. Pankaj Kumar talked about what we do when we look at the mirror. He said that we look into the mirror many times, just to look better and better. We look for the good things in us and try to project it. I had the exact opposite view and I told him that we don't look at ourselves to remind us that we look good - we look at our face and lament internally at having such a "face" and try change it to the maximum possible extent. We always look at what we don't have and try to cover it up. This is a negativity that has crept in us from a long time - right from childhood, we are told by our parents that we naturally don't look good, so need all the touch-ups to look smart and good. When we change a look, it is because we are not happy with our current look - even that extra strand of hair bothers us.

Leadership may well be an emergent process, but we need to be motivated that we can achieve what we want to achieve. You cannot have something emerging out of nothing, right? I am a pessimist by nature and that drives me. I know the worst case and always prepare myself for it. People may call me paranoid and overly careful, but I am what I am. My emergence has been a tale of looking at the dark side and preparing myself for it. People prepare for the worse, I prepare for the worst.

The last part of the lecture talked about what we are good at. One of the interesting questions that DC asked us what "What can you do without getting bored?". If I had the choice, I would have answered "Sleeping!", but lately I was getting even bored of that! I thought about it for a while, and realized that I can quiz for hours and hours. I like quizzing and it has been my passion for a long time now. I can also write continuously with zeal and fervour. I can do these two activities without getting bored.

This is what I am good at - Quizzing and Blogging! And I feel this session of DC was lingering in my mind when I wrote my post about my experience at the "Manfest BizQuiz". One excerpt from it is as follows:

"Well, I am confident that I can become a good quizmaster in the future. My focus would be on general quizzes and not “just” biz quizzes. I want to promote trivia quizzes and will, one day, become the best QM in India – that’s a promise I made to myself.

My quizzing partner in IIML, Debratna Nag, said he would help me out in this. We are in this together. So will my college friends Jango and Anda (I will ask them and I am sure they will not say no to it). Anyone else interested in my venture? I am all set to start it all by 2014 (tentatively) and my aim is to host my first quiz at IIM Lucknow, making even a
General Quiz as a flagship event here. I will do it parallel to Karthik Narayan’s IQL (I dare not clash with my quizzing idol) and I will concentrate more on North and Western India (Even South-Western India) and the premier institutes. IIM Lucknow would be a good platform to start it all - don’t you feel so?

Anyone interested leave a comment or contact me with your details (just in case I don’t know you personally). I would need all the help I can get. Yes, I am not joking about this. I am serious and I will start it as soon as possible. 2014 is just a tentative year. I can be early too.


I need people to help me with the logistics, questions for the quizzes, publicity and sponsorship issues. I would also need people who can get me quiz-hosting opportunities at various colleges in the country – engineering or management. I am also open to schools and quizzing for charity. So if anyone feels he/she can help me out in any way please do let me know whenever you find the time.

And I am not doing this just for the money or the fame – I am doing it because I want to quiz. I want to show the world what good quizzing can be and how quizzing can develop into a sport not just for a few brainiacs, but for one and all. This is similar to the theme that KN runs on - that quizzing is for one and all. Every person who attends a quiz must be able to enjoy it and not just those who qualify for the finals."

Well, I think I made my point here - I want to become a quizzer and I shall work for it from now on. DC or no DC, I am inspired already!

1 comment: