Monday, January 26, 2009

Session 4: Your Business Card...

Today was perhaps the most interesting session by DC ever. And I for once was a part of it too, albeit in a small way.

Today it was all about business cards. What does a business card tell about you? It tells your name, your position, has your vital information for communication like your email id, your phone numbers and your home/office address. It gives details of the "you" that others know. It doesn't give them any idea of what you think, what your style is, what you know you are - So it does not reveal your personality at all.

Recently I was watching the movie "American Psycho", where the hero and his colleagues, all of whom are I-bankers, keep making different business cards every other week. They are obsessed with the border, the finishing etc of the card. I never knew that a business card meant so much of a style statement. Certainly, the way the information is represented on the card is also some indicator of what the person is about and hence all that hue and cry for just one business card. (By the way, the "hero" of the movie actually killed the person who dared to have a business card better than his, but that's a topic for some other day)

DC talked about something new this time - your Personal Leadership Signature. We were all given cards and asked to think for a while and write on the back on it how we like to introduce ourselves to others, in any way we can. What is the driving force for you in your day to day life? How would you want them to view you? Your Business Card shows your role, but this card must show your identity!

Many good answers emerged, some with solid English! Most of them were good. Mine was simple and reflected what I generally do:

"I am critical of everything around me, in order to see the world from a different perspective as compared to the others"

Well, this is what I really do - I am motivated to criticize things and I can say I am a good Devil's Advocate than many around me. I can easily look at the not-so-rosy picture. Yes, sometimes it bogs me down and makes those around me irritated at my negative outlook (because usually the things around me are positive in nature). I am trying to change, but critical thoughts always run in my mind.

This exercise helped me realize what I am - I am a critic, a good one. I observe the things around me and look at them from a non-traditional point of view. Perhaps I thrive on being a rebel, who looks for the best in the "other approach" and hence sees the worst in the "current approach". That makes me a alternate-reality generator (fancy name) of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment