Sunday, January 25, 2009

Session 2: Your Story

After a long hiatus, I am back to writing this blog. I am a bit more in a hurry, because of the fact that the classes are going to start next week and I have to write close to 15 pages of this "Lecture Takeaways" stuff before the classes start. I am referring to the notes from this session onwards (listening to some guppie songs in the background).

There was an interesting discussion about "What is your story?" in the class and frankly speaking, I initially thought it was all just for passing time in the class. But it was actually nice when some of my own peers spoke out about their life stories. I always used to think that my life was tough and hard on me. When I heard a few of these stories, I was feeling so happy that I had a relatively smooth life - no restrictions (like one girl who spoke out), no money issues, no parental issues etc. It was like hearing out stories of people in some newsroom chat.

I never thought about my life story at all. My life went smoothly without many hassles. My dad and my mom made many sacrifices for me - they refused many promotions just so that I can stay in the same school and have both of them around me all the times. They always thought the best for me. They wanted me to get into an IIT, but I didn't work hard enough because I felt I was not capable enough. I managed to enter a NIT, but I never felt like I was able to fulfill my parents' expectations at all.

Perhaps that's why I aimed for the IIMs. My parents wanted me to do MS because a) It was easier to do and b) My uncle in the US would help me out a lot with that. But I rebelled against this and studied for CAT and got through the IIMs. And my parents were very proud of me. So my life story has always been to aim for what I felt I could do and what I deserve, without thinking about how it affected others around me. It enabled me to make my own limits and choose my own path, without bothering about how it world affect others. Although, this may look like that it goes against my philosophy of always helping others around me; but this is a different thing. Helping people and living up to their expectations are two different aspects. I live life my way; I chose my own destiny; I will listen to, but I won't do what I feel is not meant for me.

DC said in the class that "A story starts by a change in one of the 3 parameters - Think; Relate and Act". My story started with a change in how I act - I act how I want to act. I may think like my parents, I will certainly relate to those around me, but I act the way I want to and not the way they want me to.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one,Varun.
    It's good that you are so Frank with yourself and exactly what you did and why you did things in your life.

    ReplyDelete